Thursday, December 20, 2012

Synonym Rolls to Teach Synonyms

To teach synonyms I first made the synonym roll poster out of brown paper. Before laminating, draw the image on the paper. I laminated it before writing the synonyms so that I could reuse it with dry erase markers. After reviewing synonyms bring students to a spot where they can sit close to the poster as you read. I chose a Fancy Nancy book because of her comparison between "fancy" words and regular words. I had students raise their hands when they heard Nancy say a synonym. I would stop and write the words on the roll. For independent practice, I asked the kiddos to open their word work notebooks and divide a page into two sections. The first section was headed "word" and the second "synonym". They were then instructed to choose any book from the classroom library. They skimmed random pages looking for words that they could create synonyms for to write on the two columns.


Enjoy your delicious, yummy, tasty, and scrumptious "synonym" rolls!!!!!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment